Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Dying" in Nome Alaska

Hey everyone!
  You're probably wondering why you're getting my email today, today is our pday because were going to be flying to Anchorage on monday. (He'll be flying into Anchorage to pick up his new companion) So I got my transfer call this morning, I'm staying in Nome for my last transfer and Elder Allens going down to Homer. We're both pretty happy about this next transfer.   I was completely expecting to leave so when President Beesley told me that I was staying we were pretty surprised.
  Last pday was good, but the weather wasn't very good haha, the weather decided to be foggy from now on.  We tried driving out this dirt road to go to a big dredge (gold mining machine thing)  but the road was completely washed out.   There was no way we could get across, so we went back to the apartment and just relaxed for most of the day.   The gap in the road was like 15 feet across and 7ish feet deep haha, I'll send a picture of it.   We got haircuts again though, so that was good. For dinner we ate at Ians place on the beach, it was a pretty cool, haha.  (Ian's a member who mines gold on a dredge in Nome.)  I'll send pictures of his place and of the beach where all the miners live. I finally got the package you guys sent in the beginning/middle of may! (His birthday box)   The cake was pretty grody but everything else was just great! Thanks so much!    So remember how we kept popping our car tires over and over again?   We talked with our vehicle coordinator and convinced him to send us new tires that are more durable and he sent us some new, thick, super heavy duty, mostly Nome proof tires! So we're good for a while haha.
  We were able to see A---------- this week, we were planning on seeing her twice but only saw her once. The first time we ate dinner with her and her family, and we were going to go back the next day.  But the road had washed out the previous week and the temporary bridge kept breaking.  They were working on it when we went back. So we haven't been able to see her since we had dinner with her. I don't know if I told you guys but when we were there one of these last times she told us that she's going to pray to know if she should be baptized.  When we go back to see her we're going to follow up and hopefully put her on date for baptism.    I really hope to see her get baptized before I leave Nome.
  We saw I--------- this week too, we finished teaching him everything he needs to be taught to be baptized, now he just needs to make the decision to be baptized :)
  Everything's good though, I'm glad I get to stay in Nome for my last transfer, it should be good. I hope everyone's doing good back home and down there in cayman.  Enjoy the sun and the warm weather for me :) Love you guys!

 Love Elder Ashton Roney





No comments:

Post a Comment